Pigs in a Blanket
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter cut in pieces
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- hot dogs or sausages
- Whipped mustard
- cheddar cheese (optional)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture forms coarse pieces.
- Add buttermilk and stir the mixture with a fork until most of the dry ingredients have been moistened. Turn the ingredients onto the counter and knead and fold until the dough is formed. Do not knead longer than necessary.
- Roll or pat the dough to about 1/4-inch thickness and cut into a circle with a biscuit cutter for small sausages or into oblong or rectangular pieces for hot dogs. (The tendency is to roll the dough too thick. Remember that the dough will double in thickness when baked.)
- Spread mustard or another condiment on the dough. Do not spread mustard where the two edges will overlap.
- Place a hot dog or sausage on each. For hot dogs, slice the dogs lengthwise about half-way through the dog. Place mustard or a cheese stick in the opened dog.
- Fold the dough around the dog or sausage. Place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until the tops are just golden brown and biscuits sound hollow when gently tapped. Serve warm.