Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Butter Cake & Crumb Topping:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream (full fat)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 – 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp water
- 1.5 tsp cornstarch
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8 inch round pan with removable bottom with non-stick baking paper.
Prepare the strawberry jam.
Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry in a bowl. Mix the strawberries and sugar in a pan. Cook over low heat until the strawberries release their juices about 5 minutes, then add the cornstarch mix and stir until well combined. Stir for another minute or two until it has thickened. Remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature while you prepare the rest of the cake.
Prepare the cream cheese filling.
Beat the cream cheese on medium speed for about 30 seconds until smooth. Add in the sugar and egg and beat until well combined. Set aside.
Prepare the cake.
- Combine the flour and sugar together in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or just 2 forks, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Measure 3/4 cup of the mixture and set aside. Add the baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the sour cream, egg and vanilla extract until well blended. Using a hand whisk or a spoon, stir gently into the flour mixture until just incorporated. Batter may be a bit lumpy. Set aside.
- Spread the batter in the pan, with about 1/2 inch up the sides, also leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges bare (like making a well). Pour the cream cheese mixture over the batter, being careful not to go beyond the border. Spread the strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup crumbs over the strawberry filling. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the cake.