Spinach and Apple Salad
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds (about 3 ounces)
- 1 10- ounce bag ready-to-use spinach leaves
- 2 medium-size red-skinned apples, quartered, cored, thinly sliced
- Combine onion, cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, sesame seeds and paprika in small bowl. Mix in 2 tablespoons sugar. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add almonds. Stir until almonds begin to color, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over. Stir until sugar melts and begins to turn golden, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer almonds to bowl and cool. (Dressing and almonds can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover separately and let stand at room temperature.)
- Combine spinach and apples in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Mix in almonds. Serve salad, passing any remaining dressing separately.