Spicy Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
- 2 small peppers- any kind you’d like
- 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper for a little heat
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese, or any cheese you like
- fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut a slit through the entire length of each of your peppers. Place them on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, until the skins are softened and beginning to blister.
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add your onion and saute for 3 minutes, until beginning to soften and turn translucent.
- Add garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in your black beans along with the water.
- Add your cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne. Stir, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans for at least 15 minutes, but up to 30 minutes.
- Stir in corn. Divide the bean mixture evenly among the two peppers and sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil for 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Garnish with fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream if you’d like.
Recipe from: canyoustayfordinner
Photo from: recipebyphoto