- 3 bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 cup), divided
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan; crumble bacon. Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Place potato slices and onion in a 5-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Combine 1/2 cup water and next 3 ingredients (through pepper); stir into mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Mash mixture with a potato masher; stir in milk and 3/4 cup cheese. Increase heat to HIGH. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream and remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Sprinkle with bacon and chives.