- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) soft butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup puréed pumpkin
- 1 cup mashed banana, the riper the better
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup diced pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Praline Pumpkin Seed Crunch or 1 tablespoon coarse white sparkling sugar, to sprinkle on top
*Using a scant cup (7 1/2 ounces) pumpkin is fine; that way, you can get two recipes out of a single 15-ounce can of purée.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, honey, eggs, pumpkin, banana, orange juice or water. and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, stirring to combine.
- Mix in the nuts, if you’re using them.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of the loaf with Praline Pumpkin Seed Crunch or coarse white sparkling sugar, if desired. Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Bake the bread for 55 to 70 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean; and that same tester inserted about 1/2″ into the top of the loaf doesn’t encounter any totally unbaked batter.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a rack. When it’s completely cool, wrap it well in plastic wrap, and store it overnight before serving.
Yield: 1 loaf.