- 1 whole Baking Potato (about 10 Oz Size)
- 1 clove Garlic, Peeled
- ¼ whole Onion, Peeled And Quartered
- ¼ cups Flour
- 1 whole Egg
- ¾ cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 2 whole Chipotle Chilies In Adobo Sauce, Minced
- 2 teaspoons Adobo Sauce (from The Can Of Chipotle Chilies)
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoons Crushed Red Peper Flakes
- ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil, For Frying
- Greek Yogurt, Or Sour Cream, For Serving
Using a food processor fitted with a coarse grating disk, grate the potato, garlic and onion as best you can. Discard any large pieces or chop them yourself. Transfer the mixture to a clean dish towel and squeeze out any excess liquid, then transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
Stir in the flour, egg, cheddar cheese, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, chipotle chilies, adobo sauce, chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and the baking powder. Stir until thoroughly combined.
In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in 5 to 6 batches, drop 2 tablespoon-sized scoops of batter into the pan about 2 inches apart. Using a spatula, flatten the scoops of batter into disks. Cook, turning once, until browned and crisp on both sides. (Lower the heat if the latkes darken too quickly.) Drain the cooked latkes on paper towels while you repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve warm topped with Greek yogurt or sour cream.