- 8 cups milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups uncooked stone-ground white grits
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed, thyme, or sage or a combination of the three (or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar, Gruyère, or Swiss cheese or a combination of the three, divided
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
Combine 6 cups milk and salt in a large, heavy saucepan; cook over medium-high heat just until milk starts to boil. Gradually whisk in grits and butter. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until thick, stirring often.
Preheat oven to 350°. Remove grits from heat; add remaining 2 cups milk, stirring to cool grits mixture. Stir in eggs, herbs, and 1 cup cheese. Pour grits mixture into a lightly greased 15″ x 10″ baking dish; top with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top of casserole; serve immediately.
Recipe from: myrecipes.com