- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups low-fat (1 per cent) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cored, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 pound zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (about 3 ounces)
- 1 28 ounce can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup cured black olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare white sauce: Melt butter in medium-size saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour until well blended. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk. Whisk in the salt. Heat to boiling over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low; simmer, whisking often, for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is thick. Stir in the nutmeg; cover the surface directly with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lasagna: Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and carrot; saute for 3 minutes. Remove the vegetables to a medium-size bowl. Carefully wipe out the skillet.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the sweet red pepper; saute for 3 minutes. Remove the red pepper to the bowl with the onion mixture. Wipe out the skillet again.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in the skillet. Add the zucchini; saute for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms; saute for 3 minutes. Add all the vegetables in the bowl back into the skillet. Add the tomatoes, olives, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling. Cover the skillet; lower the heat and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes to blend the flavors. Stir in the basil.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Cook the noodles in a pot of boiling water following the package directions. Drain the noodles. Combine the mozzarella, provolone and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese in a medium-size bowl.
- To assemble: Spread 1/2 cup of the vegetables over bottom of the prepared baking dish. Lay 3 noodles lengthwise over the vegetables in the dish. Spread half of the remaining vegetables over the noodles. Spread one-third of white sauce over the vegetables. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese mixture. Top with 3 more noodles. Spread remaining vegetables over the top. Spread half of the remaining white sauce over the vegetables. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese mixture. Top with the 3 remaining noodles. Spread the remaining white sauce over the top. Sprinkle with remaining grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let the lasagna stand for at least 10 minutes before cutting into portions and serving. Makes 9 servings.