- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 11 pieces (reserve back and wing tips for another use, such as stock)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1/2 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1/3 cup)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Brown Chicken Season chicken on both sides with 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Preheat a Dutch oven or other large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and the oil to pot. When butter melts and foam subsides, add half the chicken, skin side down, in a single layer; do not crowd pot. (If butter begins to blacken, lower heat.) Fry chicken, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes total, and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Saute Mirepoix Reduce heat to medium, and add mirepoix (onion, carrot, and celery) to pot, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Saute mirepoix, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown in places, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cook Mushrooms and Flour Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms darken, become glossy, and begin to release liquid, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in flour, and cook until flour is absorbed by vegetables and is no longer visible, about 1 minute.
- Pour in Wine and Broth Add wine to pot, and bring to a boil, stirring until liquid just thickens, about 45 seconds. Add broth, and stir.
- Simmer Chicken Place chicken, skin side up, in a single layer on vegetables; pour juices that have accumulated on plate into pot. Tie parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf together with kitchen twine; add to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover partially. Cook until internal temperature of thickest part of chicken registers 165 degrees, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to a clean plate. Simmer liquid, uncovered, until reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Discard herbs.
- Make and Add Liaison To make the liaison (sauce thickener), whisk together egg yolks and cream in a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, pour 1/2 cup cooking liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, into liaison to temper it. Stir tempered liaison into pot.
- Finish with Tarragon, Lemon, and Butter Return chicken to pot. Add tarragon, lemon juice, and the remaining butter. Bring to a simmer, stir gently to combine, and serve.
Have your butcher cut the breast in half, keeping the wings attached but removing the wing tips.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes