- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium crookneck squash, thinly sliced
- 1 Japanese eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 large red potato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- Salt, pepper and Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese
*Use a sharp knife to make thin slices, or take the easy way out and use a mandoline.
- Preheat the oven to 400° and grease an 8×8″ baking dish with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat the butter over medium-high heat and saute the onion and garlic for about 4-5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Remove from heat and spread the onion and garlic evenly over the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Layer the sliced vegetables vertically in the dish, alternating the slices. Season generously with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and evenly top with the shredded cheese. Bake for 15-20 more minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.