Pizza on a Stick Recipe
Makes about 24
- 1 pound (grapefruit size) piece of dough (use your favorite recipe)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- pepperoni or other favorite toppings
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Set up 2 0r 3 baking sheet pans with parchment or Silpats, set aside.
- Roll the dough out to a 1/4-inch thick rectangle, using enough flour so the dough doesn’t stick.
- Layer on the sauce, cheese and pepperoni. Leave some of the cheese exposed so that it can melt and act as a glue, to hold the pizza rolls together.
- Roll the dough into a log, starting at the long end.
- Using kitchen shears, cut the dough into 1/2-inch thick buns. (I only baked 16 and then wrapped the rest of the log, refrigerated it and will bake it later this week. You can also cut and freeze the individual pizza rounds to thaw and bake within the next 2 weeks.)
- Place them on the prepared sheet, leaving plenty of space for them to expand when they bake. Allow them to rest on the counter for about 15-20 minutes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted and caramelized a bit.
- Put them on a stick or let them cool and pack them in a lunch box!
They are tasty and fun. Enjoy!