- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (you may use low fat)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted (can sub pine nuts or walnuts too)
- ground pepper to taste
Put basil, almonds and garlic in blender or food precessor. While blending add 1/4 cup of wine and blend until thick. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, add the pesto mixture and remaining white wine until it reaches a slow rolling boil.
In a large bowl, toss the shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese with the cornstarch. Slowly stir it into saucepan with the boiling pesto/wine one small handful at a time. Stir over medium heat until it is melted and stringy. It may take about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
You might not need any salt, cheese is super salty as it is.
Transfer to a cheese fondue pot and keep warm with a burner. Serve right away, fondue is not something you make and wait to eat.