Light and Hearty Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguine or 8 ounces fettuccine
- 1 lb chicken breast, strips
- 3 teaspoons cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
Cook the pasta in a large amount of boiling water until al dente; drain and set aside.
Sprinkle the chicken with 2 t of the Cajun seasoning and mix until coated evenly.
Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook for 2 minutes without stirring.
When the chicken is lightly browned on one side, stir it to cook the other side (leaving it to cook without stirring helps to keep it from sticking).
Cook for about 5 more minutes, or until no longer pink inside.
Remove from the pan and keep warm.
Spray the pan again with the nonstick cooking spray and add the olive oil.
Over medium-high heat, add the peppers, mushrooms and 2 of the green onions.
Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the lemon pepper, basil, garlic powder, remaining teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and the salt.
Then add the half-and-half, bring to a boil and add the chicken.
Stir until coated and warm.
Add the pasta and toss to coat.
Garnish with remaining green onions.