For the Chips:
- 3 large russet potatoes (2 1/4 pounds total) sliced into 1/8-inch thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
For the Dip:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, greens and whites separated
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat Greek style yogurt or 1 2/3 cups regular nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Make chips: Toss potatoes in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of oil, and pepper until well coated. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Arrange potato slices in 1 layer on 2 cookie sheets. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until chips are crisped and lightly browned. Remove from oven, season with salt and cool.
Make dip: Heat oil over medium heat and add onions and scallion whites. Cook, stirring often, until golden brown and soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
If using regular yogurt, place it in a strainer lined with a paper towel and set the strainer over a bowl. Let the yogurt drain and thicken for 20 minutes.
Combine onions with thickened or Greek-style yogurt, mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and scallion greens and stir well to incorporate. Chill for 1 hour to let flavors meld. Serve with chips.