Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 1/4 cups shredded cheese (a blend of cheddar, mozzarella, and monterey jack), divided
- 1/3 cup chives, snipped
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes (any kind will do), skins on, thinly sliced
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees (F). To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then the diced onion was cooked in the melted butter until soft.
- Stir the flour thoroughly into the onions and added the milk and garlic using a garlic press. The sauce was stirred over medium/high heat until it began to bubble and thicken. then remove it from the heat and stirred in 2 cups of the grated cheese. The sauce was set aside.
- Next, we fwazzed a deep 9×9 ceramic casserole dish with some cooking spray. A single layer of potato slices was layered in the bottom of the dish, followed by a sprinkling of snipped chives. Another layer of potato came next, followed by more chives. Continue like this until the potatoes were used up.
- The sauce was then poured over the potatoes and the whole thing was given a good shimmy shake on the counter top to get the sauce to ooze down into all the nooks and crannies. The top was sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and another sprinkling of chives. Then place the casserole dish on a baking sheet in case it bubbled over (it didn’t) and bake it for 60 minutes until brown and bubbly.