- 1 flank steak
- 16 bbq skewers
- 2 tsp sesame oi
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Start your grill for medium heat (300-350f). In a small sauce pan on the grill, mix together the soy sauce, sugar, honey, mirin, garlic and ginger and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir frequently and keep an eye on your heat. Sugary sweet sauces like this will burn quickly if your temps get away from you.
- Stir together the corn starch and water and stir into the teriyaki mixture. Simmer another 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring the grill heat up to 400f. Slice the steak across the grain in 1/4″ strips like this.
- Thread the steak onto the skewers in a weaving fashion. Grill for 2 1/2 minutes then flip.
- Grill another 2 1/2 minutes and flip again. Brush the top with some of the teriyaki glaze and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Flip, brush with glaze and cook for a final 2 minutes.
- Remove, sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro.