Baci Di Dama Cookies (“Lady Kisses”)
Serves 6 to 8
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup chestnut flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened and divided
1/3 cup superfine sugar (granulated will work fine)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 ounce dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flours and salt. Set aside.
3. Place all but 1 tablespoon butter in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or use a mixing bowl with a hand mixer) and cream until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Scrape down sides of the bowl and continue to cream, gradually adding the sugar until fully incorporated. Add the almond extract and continue to beat together for about 30 seconds.
5. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until fully incorporated and the dough comes together.
6. Roll 1/2 teaspoon balls of dough and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet, gently pressing on the top to barely flatten the surface. Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies barely begin to brown. Allow cookies to cook completely.
7. Melt chocolate and stir in remaining tablespoon of butter until smooth.
8. Dab a small amount of chocolate onto the bottom center of a cookie and sandwich together with another. Repeat until all cookie sandwiches have been made.