- 4 cups frozen vegetables for stew (about 24 ounces), thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 envelopes brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Place the vegetables, water chestnuts, mushrooms and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the gravy mix, soup mix, steak seasoning and cinnamon; add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Add to slow cooker.
- Combine the broth, cider and tomato sauce; pour over beef. Add bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings.