Red Velvet Rolls Recipe
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
These take about 3 hours from start to finish, mostly inactive prep time.
Makes 24 rolls
1 box of Duncan Hines Signature Red Velvet Cake Mix
2 envelopes (1/4 oz each) of Active Dry Yeast
2 1/2 cups of warm water
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
5 cups of all-purpose flour
1 stick of softened butter – you can add another stick of butter if you want them really gooey
1 cup of packed dark brown sugar
1 cup of granulated white sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 sticks of softened butter
3 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
Pinch of kosher salt
2 packages of softened cream cheese – 8 ounces
- Combine two packages of active dry yeast with warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir until dissolved. Add cake mix, flour, vanilla and salt. Use dough hook attachment to knead dough together, just for a minute or two. Move to larger bowl, cover, and let rise for about an hour. Punch dough down after an hour, and let rise again for another hour.
- Use plenty of flour on a clean surface and turn dough out. Shape into a ball, then roll into a rectangle shape, mine measured about 28×17. Spread softened butter over dough. Sprinkle with brown sugar, white granulated sugar and cinnamon. Start from farthest edge and roll dough tightly into a long skinny log shape. Slice into 24 rolls.
- Place rolls in two 9×13 pans that have been greased with butter, or sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Let rise a final time in pan for about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, prepare cream cheese frosting. With paddle attachment on the stand mixer, combine room temperature butter with powdered sugar. Beat until well combined, then add vanilla and pinch of salt. Mix again, then while mixer is going, drop cubes of softened cream cheese in the bowl one at a time until frosting is well mixed.
- Spread on warm rolls and enjoy.