Chewy Fruit and Nut Squares
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. light or dark raisins
- 1 c. chopped dried fruit (I used a combination of apricots, prunes, and apples)
- 3/4 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. grated orange rind
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in the fruit and nuts.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the egg, orange rind, orange juice, and vanilla and beat well. Add the flour mixture and blend well.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until the edges are browned and a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.