Beer Battered Shoestring Carrots
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 – 1 cup light beer
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 5 cups shredded carrots (I julienned some baby carrots)
- Oil for frying
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, beer, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8
teaspoon cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Stir in carrots.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining salt, cayenne, garlic and
pepper; set aside.
In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
spoonfuls of carrot mixture, a few at a time, into oil; cook for 3-4
minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Drain on paper
towels; sprinkle with reserved seasoning mixture.
For a cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.