- a pinch of saffron threads soaked in 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Soak the saffron threads in the water for 10 to 15 minutes to soften them for baking. Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 12″ x 5 1/4″ x 2″ biscotti pan. .
- With a hand-held mixer or egg beater, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light in color, thickened, and foamy.
- Stir in the saffron/water. Lightly sprinkle 1 cup of flour over the surface of the mixture and fold it in gently. The mix will be thick and sponge-like, full of air and a deep yellow color.
- Spread the batter into your prepared biscotti pan and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. The edges be well-browned and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out onto a cutting board and use a sharp serrated knife to slice it into 1/2″ slices. Lay each slice on a baking sheet, cut side up (and down).
- Place the pan under the broiler until the toasts begin to darken at the edges about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, carefully flip each slice over and broil the reverse side as well.
- Cool the toasts completely before serving. Store in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to 3 weeks.
Yield: 16 to 18 slices.