- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces diced bacon
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes (from one 14.5-ounce can)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 pounds cooked pork sausages (French garlic and bratwurst), left whole or sliced 1 inch thick
- 5 cups homemade breadcrumbs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large braiser or high-sided ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook until crisp. Add onion; cook until tender. Add garlic and thyme; cook for 1 minute. Add wine; cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes; cook until sauce is thickened. Add stock and beans; bring to a simmer. Add sausages. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Toast breadcrumbs in remaining butter in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in parsley. Season with coarse salt.
- Remove skillet from oven. Heat broiler. Scatter breadcrumbs over top of sausage mixture. Broil 6 inches from heat source until top is deep golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Time: 65 Minutes