- 8 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter*, cut into pieces, room temp
- 1 cup sugar*
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs*
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 12 small chocolate covered peppermint patties, such as York Peppermint Patties
*Healthy Swaps: use light butter (will change consistency), reduce sugar to 3/4 cup sugar, and fat free egg substitute
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners. Place chocolate and butter in double boiler and stir occasionally just until melted, 4-5 minutes.
Remove bowl from heat, whisk in sugar and salt until mixture is smooth. Whisk in eggs to combine. Gently whisk in flour and cocoa just until smooth (do not overmix).
Spoon 1 heaping tbsp of batter into each lined cup. Place 1 patty on top, gently pressing into batter. Top with 2 tbsp batter, covering patty completely. Bake, rotating tin halfway through , about 35 minutes (start checking at 30). Transfer tin to a wire rack to cool completely.