- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian or regular parsley
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Fresh Italian or regular parsley (optional)
- Toasted cheese-topped baguette-style French bread slices, (optional)
- Meatballs: Combine egg, bread crumbs, snipped parsley, the 3 or 4 cloves garlic, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, nutmeg, red pepper, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add ground beef and ground pork; mix well.
- Shape mixture into 36 meatballs. Coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place meatballs in pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until thoroughly cooked (160 degrees F). Remove from oven. Place meatballs on paper towels and pat dry.
- Sauce: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and the 1 clove garlic; cook and stir about 3 minutes or until onion is nearly tender. Stir together cornstarch and red wine or beef broth. Carefully add to skillet along with undrained tomatoes and the 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Add meatballs to skillet; stir gently to heat through. Transfer to a serving bowl and, if desired, garnish with additional parsley. Serve immediately with toasted cheese-topped French bread slices, if desired. Makes 36 appetizers.
Make Ahead Tip
Prepare and bake meatballs; cool. Pack in airtight freezer container or plastic freezer bag; seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight before adding to sauce as above.
Yield: 36 appetizers
Prep Time: 40 mins