- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breast halves (10 to 12 ounces each), halved crosswise
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons curry powder (preferably Jamaican)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in two batches, brown chicken, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, cumin, curry, thyme, and 1/2 cup water and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, coconut milk, 1/2 cup water, and chicken with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover partially, and cook until chicken is cooked through and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in peas. Serve curry over rice.