Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 1 cup liquid egg substitute
- 4 large egg whites
- 6 slices low calorie, high fiber bread (I used Sara Lee Delightful), cut into small, bite sized cubes
- 1 cup diced lean ham
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup shredded light Swiss cheese
- 5 cups chopped spinach, wilted
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup fat free buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 7-by-11-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, egg substitute, egg whites and buttermilk. Add mustard, paprika, salt and pepper; whisk to combine.
- In another large bowl, toss tomatoes, spinach, bread, ham, parsley, green onions and roasted red peppers.
- Add the egg mixture and toss well to coat.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
- Bake until the casserole has set, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the casserole is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 equally sized pieces.