All-American Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Saute green pepper and onion in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Add the eggs, milk, bread, cheese, rosemary, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well.
- Pat into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Combine ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar in a small bowl. Spread over tops. Cover and freeze one meat loaf for up to 3 months.
- Bake the remaining loaf, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- To use frozen meat loaf: Bake frozen meat loaf as directed, increasing time to 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).