Jalapeno-Cheddar Spoon Bread
Serves 5 to 7
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a 9” x 12” baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
3. Pour milk into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk in cornmeal and salt and continue to whisk until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and using a wooden spoon, stir in cheese, garlic, jalapenos, and 2 tablespoons butter.
5. Continue to stir until most steam has escaped from the mixture. Beat eggs into the mixture, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Gently fold in pepper until just combined.
6. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and dot top with remaining tablespoon of butter.
7. Bake for 30 to 35 minute or until just set in the center. Allow to cool for 5 to 7 minutes. Scoop and serve.
Original recipe: Jalapeño Cheddar Spoon Bread