Italian Bacon Pasta
- ½ pound bacon or pancetta, cut into small ¼ inch cubes (I used bacon)
- ½ pound soppressata salami, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ pound mortadella, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1½ cup red wine
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- cooked pasta of choice
- In a saucepan, cook the bacon on medium heat, stirring often and scraping the bottom of the saucepan.
- After about 3-5 minutes add the soppressata and mortadella. Cook, stirring often, for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, onions and peppers and cook for another 5 minutes or until the onions are transparent.
- Add the wine, to deglaze the pan. Let it boil and cook off for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer.
- Let the sauce cook for about 10 minutes and add the salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Stir in the fresh basil just prior to serving.
- Serve with fresh cooked pasta and garnish with parmesan cheese.