German Apple Pancakes Recipe
• 2 apples
• 4 eggs
• ½ cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• 1 pinch salt
• 1 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons butter
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ cup white sugar
• ¼ cup butter
• Oven mitts
• 10-inch oven-proof skillet
• Two Mixing bowls
• Cutting board
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit,use a knife to core and peel the apples. Then, cut into thin (quarter to half-inch thick) slices. Handle knife with extreme caution.
- Crack four eggs in a mixing bowl and use a whisk to beat the eggs,then add 1/2 cup flour, continuing to mix with the whisk.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder to bowl and mix well.Add one tablespoon sugar to the mixture and combine thoroughly.Add a pinch of salt and continue to mix
- Slowly add one cup milk to the mixture while maintaining a steady stir.
- Add one teaspoon vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Melt two tablespoons butter and add to mixture. Stir until completely mixed, then set the mixture aside.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with 1/2 cup white sugar in a separate bowl.
- Add ¼ cup butter to the oven proof skillet and melt on stovetop over medium heat. Spread butter around pan thoroughly.
- Then add the cinnamon and sugar mixture to the skillet with the melted butter, giving the skillet an even coat.
- Spread out the apples evenly in the pan to begin browning. Keep stovetop on medium heat. The browning process should cause a slight bubbling of the cinnamon, sugar, and butter mixture, and the browning is complete once the apples are coated with the mixture attaining a light brown color. Do not leave the apples over medium heat for longer than five minutes.
- Once the apples have browned, pour the batter from the mixing bowl over the top of the apples in the skillet.
- Transfer skillet to the oven to begin baking. Use oven mitts and extreme caution when dealing with the oven at this heat. Turn on oven light to monitor the pancake’s progress. Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. The pancake should start to brown around the edges of the skillet and the cinnamon will gently brown the apples.
- Turn off the oven and let the pancake sit in the oven for 10-15 minutes. REMOVE WITH EXTREME CAUTION. Remove with oven mitts and set on counter top to cool for additional 3-5 minutes. The center of the pancake should be soft and slightly gooey, while the edges should be slightly browned.