- 5 to 5-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (120-130 degrees F)
- 7 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 lightly beaten eggs, at room temperature
- 1 egg + 1 Tablespoon skim milk (for egg wash)
- Stir together flour, sugar, instant yeast, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Heat a pot of water over stove until simmering. Measure out 1-1/3 cups of hot water and add 5 Tablespoons of butter. Stir butter until fully melted. Allow mixture to cool to 120-130 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer with dough hooks, combine water mixture with dry ingredients until moistened. Add eggs and combine. If necessary, add additional flour until a moist, elastic dough consistency is reached.
- Roll dough out onto a lightly-floured surface and knead about 10 times. Let dough rise in a lightly-greased bowl, covered, for one hour. Place covered dough in a warm place.
- Once dough has risen, microwave 2 Tablespoons butter on high for 20 seconds and set aside. Grease 3 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Roll dough out onto a lightly-floured surface. Divide into 3 equal pieces. Shape the first piece into a ball and roll out into a 1/4-inch thick circle. With a pastry brush, spread some melted butter over dough circle. Using lightly-floured scissors, cut dough (as you would cut a pie) into 8 pieces. Roll up each slice, starting at the wide end and gently stretching dough as you go. Place roll onto baking sheet, tip-side down. Place 8 rolls on each baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Allow rolls to rise for 30-40 minutes on baking sheets.
- With several minutes remaining, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a pastry brush, brush rolls with egg wash. Bake each pan of rolls for 13-14 minutes, or until golden brown.