Easy Chiles Rellenos Recipe
- Poblano Peppers, 5 or 6
- Egg Whites, 4
- Milk, 1 cup
- Flour, 1/3 cup
- Cheddar, 6 ounces
- Pepper Jack, 6 ounces
- Tomato Sauce, 1 medium can (I only had a big 26 oz can so I used about half)
- Cocoa Powder, 1 tablespoon
- Chili Powder
- Preheat the broiler to 450. Use nonstick cooking spray to generously coat a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Now rinse and half the peppers, removing the stems and seeds. Place them skin side up on a baking sheet and stick them under the broiler for about 10 minutes or until they just begin to soften and brown.
- Whisk the egg whites, milk and flour together in a small bowl. I got a little yolk in this one but it really didn’t matter.Pour the mixture into the greased dish.
- Combine the tomato sauce with the cocoa powder and teaspoon or so of the other spices. Stir it together and heat it just until it’s blended and heated through. Grate the cheese and set aside about half a cup of each for the final topping.
- the peppers should be done. Remove them from the oven, turn the oven to bake and reduce the heat to 350. Arrange a single layer of peppers in the casserole dish, making sure to coat them well with the egg mixture.Sprinkle with about of the remaining cheeses.
- Repeat with a second layer. I used a spoon to scoop up the egg mixture from the edges of the pan and spooned it over this second layer of peppers. Add a second layer of cheeses.
- Pour the sauce over the top.Finish it off with the reserved cheese. Bake at 350 for about an hour, until it’s bubbly and the egg mixture is set.